⇓ More from ICTworks

Apply Now: $235,000 Grant Funding for Your UAV Drone Data Innovations

By Wayan Vota on July 2, 2019

drone uav grant funding

When we look at aerial robotics efforts in international development, we find that only about 10% of any given project focuses on the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) itself. The other 90% of any drone project is focused on stakeholder engagement to get buy-in for the project, and analyzing the resulting data to ensure that project constituents can benefit from the data insights.

Sadly, organizations are still seduced by the shiny, flashy UAV drone technology and spend too much effort focused on the 10%, instead of the messy, but way more beneficial 90% of stakeholders buy-in and data use – the enabling environment.

Unusual Solvers UAV Drone Competition

Apply now for Unusual Solvers UAV Drone competition – an international competition to connect with local UAV drone innovators from the Global South, brought to you by the Omidyar Network, WeRobotics, and Flying Labs network.

Sign up now to get more finding opportunities like this!</p

Nine finalists will win USD 15,000 each to turn their idea into a concept and create a strong pitch. And then compete for the grand prize of USD 100,000 for the best solution for one of these problems:

  • Drone data & AI tools: How can data and AI tools become more relevant to solving local social challenges?
  • Last data mile: How can we bring back drone data and insights to all beneficiaries and turn data into action?
  • Drone & data ethics: How can drones and data be used ethically to solve meaningful problems?

The UAV drone solution can be for a wide range of social challenges, may it be related to humanitarian aid, land rights, conservation, agriculture, resilient urban planning and many more.

Local Organizations Are Encouraged to Apply

Applicants are especially encouraged from Latin America, Africa, Asia and Oceania that understand the needs of local communities and taking into account that:

  • Internet connectivity is not a given – not even mobile connectivity of any kind
  • Local culture and traditions play an important role in solution design
  • Digital literacy and data literacy comes at many levels

Local knowledge is a crucial part of making solutions sustainable, as is understand the business drivers and constraints with all project stakeholders.

Apply Now! Deadline is August 31, 2019

More Grant Funding Opportunities

Do you want to get advice on how to apply for USAID grants or get startup investments for technology entrepreneurs?

Then please sign up now to get our email updates. We are constantly publishing new funding opportunities like these:

Filed Under: Data, Funding
More About: , , , ,

Written by
Wayan Vota co-founded ICTworks and is the Digital Health Director at IntraHealth International. He also co-founded Technology Salon, MERL Tech, ICTforAg, ICT4Djobs, ICT4Drinks, JadedAid, Kurante, OLPC News and a few other things. Opinions expressed here are his own and do not reflect the position of IntraHealth International or other ICTWorks sponsors.
Stay Current with ICTworksGet Regular Updates via Email

Leave a Reply

*

*