Please Register Now: MERL Tech DC 2019 & Special Sessions

Please Register Now: MERL Tech DC 2019 & Special Sessions

Published on: Jul 18 2019 by Linda Raftree - Leave a Comment
Please register to attend, or reserve a demo table for MERL Tech DC 2019 on September 5-6, 2019 at FHI 360 in Washington, DC. We will engage 300 practitioners from across the development ecosystem for a two-day conference...
Digital Solutions Are Transforming Informal Workers into African iWorkers

Digital Solutions Are Transforming Informal Workers into African iWorkers

Published on: Jul 17 2019 by Guest Writer - Leave a Comment
The defining characteristic of most work in Africa is its informality: ​according to the ILO​, 85% of work is done in the household, in smallholder agriculture or in unregistered businesses of all sizes. Why is Informal...
Please RSVP Now: Help DFID Explore Internet of Things for Development

Please RSVP Now: Help DFID Explore Internet of Things for Development

Published on: Jul 15 2019 by Wayan Vota - 4 Comments
Can embedding Internet of Things (IoT) like connected buttons, sensors or other devices in development programmes complement how we collect data and help us solve problems faster? DFID and the Frontier Technologies Hub want...
Nollywood: A Secret Weapon for African Social and Behavior Change

Nollywood: A Secret Weapon for African Social and Behavior Change

Published on: Jul 11 2019 by Wayan Vota - 3 Comments
Years ago, I remember debating the design of an intervention meant to increase the role of women in Africa society. The budget was relatively small, but the donor wanted big, multi-country impact. The debate focused on the...
How You Can Start on Bottom-Up Data Protection Right Now

How You Can Start on Bottom-Up Data Protection Right Now

Published on: Jul 10 2019 by Guest Writer - Leave a Comment
As the saying goes: in 2019, every company is a data company. Being a data company, especially an international data company, has never been more complicated. There are currently 132 countries with data privacy laws –...
Apply Now: $1.5 Million for Women’s Digital Economic Empowerment

Apply Now: $1.5 Million for Women’s Digital Economic Empowerment

Published on: Jul 08 2019 by Wayan Vota - Leave a Comment
Today, 1.7 billion women in low- and middle-income countries still do not own mobile phones. For example, in India, 67% of men own mobile phones, but only 33% percent of women do. In addition, the Internet user gender gap...
How Digital Health Solutions Can Reduce Non-Communicable Diseases

How Digital Health Solutions Can Reduce Non-Communicable Diseases

Published on: Jul 04 2019 by Wayan Vota - 1 Comment
Worldwide, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are responsible for approximately 70% of deaths, of which 75% occur in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). Yet funding for tackling NCDs is low compared to other diseases,...
Apply Now: $235,000 Grant Funding for Your UAV Drone Data Innovations

Apply Now: $235,000 Grant Funding for Your UAV Drone Data Innovations

Published on: Jul 02 2019 by Wayan Vota - Leave a Comment
When we look at aerial robotics efforts in international development, we find that only about 10% of any given project focuses on the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) itself. The other 90% of any drone project is focused on...
Superplatforms Are Radical Change for Digital Financial Services in Nepal

Superplatforms Are Radical Change for Digital Financial Services in Nepal

Published on: Jun 27 2019 by Wayan Vota - 1 Comment
Superplatforms like Google, Facebook and Alibaba, are transforming the global financial marketplace with “big brands, big budgets and big data.” As a ‘platform of platforms,’ a superplatform holds immense disruptive...